Friday, February 22, 2013

Nursery Notes 4

Saturday.
I got up bright & early Saturday morning - 6:30 to be exact! Jayde decided she needed to go to the bathroom and I couldn't fall back to sleep - so I was up for the day. I started cleaning the downstairs - swept, dusted, vacuumed, mopped and cleaned the bathroom. All before Nick decided to wake up at 9am {did I mention he may have had several beers with dinner the night before?!?}.
 
In hindsight, I should have shared my list of to-do's for the weekend with Nick- he knew I wanted to get things done but I don't know if he knew how much I wanted to get done. He decided that we needed to get all of our paper work together to take to our tax accountant on Saturday morning - this was not on my list! He got the paper work done {while I put another coat of paint on the night stands I'm finishing for the master bedroom} and we headed to town to drop the paper work off. Since we were going to town - I made him go to Hobby Lobby with me to get items for the baby shower I'm hosting the following weekend.
 
Once we got back home - the nursery projects started!!  I planned to get alot done over the weekend - clean out the closet, paint the closet {white}, install the closet organizer and put together the furniture. Seemed like we could get it all done in 2 days...
 
Clean out closet - I admit it - I am a pack rat. If there is a closet, drawer or shelf - you bet I'm going to fill it with something!! {this drives Nick crazy} It didn't take very long to clean out the closet and move all the totes to the basement, but what I discovered is that I might have a slight obsession with wrapping paper! Seriously, who needs this much wrapping paper & tissue paper?!?
Paint closet - Once the closet was cleaned out, I thought we'd be able to paint the closet. Wrong. When Nick removed the existing shelving unit, he realized he would have to patch the holes...which meant no painting would get done on Saturday. This was already putting us 1 day behind my schedule...but it had to be done.

Put furniture together - Since we couldn't get anything else done on the closet until Sunday, we moved onto the next project - putting the furniture together. We picked up three pieces from Ikea {the Expedit shelving unit and the Hemnes dresser and chest} for the nursery. I loved the way they looked online and thought they would fit my vision for the room.

We started putting the shelving unit together and it went pretty smoothly...until we pulled out the last piece from the box and discovered it was broken! Needless to say, we weren't very happy . I called Ikea and they said I can exchange the broken piece for a new piece. So now we have to make a special 3 hour trip to Ikea to replace the piece - but it's close to Mall of America - so I'm thinking we'll get some shopping done too! Plus, there are a couple of frames, lamps, shelves and other things I want to pick up from Ikea...so it's not a bad thing that we have to go back!
 
 
 
 




Next we moved onto the dresser. It took us close to 2 hours to put together and by the end we were tired & hungry! There are 8 drawers on the dresser...and that's what took the longest to put together. We created an assembly line with the drawers and it worked well...AND Nick & I didn't fight once when putting the dresser together! I was pretty impressed! I did realize while sitting on the floor - I am definitely not as mobile as I used to be. The belly gets in the way more & more and I get tired faster than I used to. I'm glad Nick was doing more of the work and I was just supervising!
 
 
 


 


After putting together these two pieces of furniture - we were ready to call it a day. We grabbed something to eat & relaxed on the couch for the rest of the night!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment