Friday, October 10, 2014

New House: New Color Palette

If you look at pictures of our old house, it's pretty obvious I gravitate towards darker neutral colors. Burnt orange in our dining room was my favorite color in the house!
 
But I wanted to go in a different direction, as far as paint color was concerned, in the new house. I was tired of the old house looking & feeling dark all the time. I wanted to go with more light & airy colors in the new house. Which is WAY out of my comfort zone!! A blue living room?!? I about had a mini panic attack after I bought the paint. But the results?? I LOVE!!! I can't wait to start decorating with these new color schemes!
 
I have always been very brand loyal when it came to paint. Behr paint was the only kind I would use. That's it. But when the closest store that carries Behr paint is an hour away...you dump your loyalty and find something closer. I've always heard great things about Sherwin Williams paint, so I made the switch.
 
I did what any normal homeowner decorating a brand new house would do: I started my new paint search on Pinterest.
 
I love this look for our living room/dining room/kitchen area. The blue/dark brown/gold accents combination would work perfect with the furniture we already owned. I'm not a fan of baby blue, so I wanted the blue to have a hint of aqua or brightness to it. Watery was perfect. Blue, but not baby blue
 
 
I then headed over to Polyvore to design our living room and kitchen based on this inspiration/color scheme. I picked furniture similar to what we already have since we don't plan on buying new pieces for the house. I hope the rooms turn out as well as my designs!
 
 
 
I wanted a neutral color for the main hallway that leads down to the bedrooms. I wanted it to tie into the living room color/bathroom/bedroom colors. Accessible Beige did exactly that.



Next, I was on the search for a color for our main bathroom. We have black cabinetry in the bathroom, so I knew I wanted something nice & light to offset the dark cabinets. And I found it with Sea Salt.
 
 
My next step was to purchase the paint. Paint is expensive when you're buying 6+ gallons at a time! But luckily, I was able to get 30% off since I was a new customer so that helped ease the hit on my bank account. While I was at the store, I tried to decided on colors for the master bedroom & bathroom - but am still not 100% sold on the samples.
 

 
 
Master Bathroom: Misty by Sherwin Williams
Master Bedroom: I've thrown away this sample card and not sure what this color is.
Living Room: Watery by Sherwin Williams
Main Bathroom: Sea Salt by Sherwin Williams
Hallway: Accessible Beige by Sherwin Williams
 

The colors were decided. The paint was purchased. All I had to do was find time to paint. While working full time and watching Kimber at night & on weekends while Nick was getting ready to be in the fields. Luckily, I have the best MIL and SIL {that LOVE to paint} and they offered to paint on their day off work while I was at work. They were able to put the first coat of paint on the livingroom/diningroom/kitchen area and the hallway. And put the second coat of paint on the main bathroom that I had painted a couple weeks prior and hadn't found time to get a second coat on it.
 
They sent me text messages of pictures throughout the day with progress and I was SO excited to get home that night and see it in person. I LOVED the way it turned out!!
 



 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 Throughout the next week, we got the second coat of paint on the walls and started ripping out the flooring & trim for the new tile that was going to be installed! We've made a lot of progress on the new house in the first 2 month of living here.  Over half of the main level of the house has been painted at this point. Even though the colors are not what I would typically pick out, I really like the look of the house.
 
Stay tuned for more updates....
 

No comments:

Post a Comment