Thursday, August 14, 2014

Story City House Tour: First Level

After we finished walking around the outside of the house, we'd go into the house.
 
If you walked into our house, you'd see this beautiful entry way.
But honestly, if you walked in the front door...that meant that you weren't a close friend.
Maybe a neighbor selling girl scout cookies or looking for a lost dog.
 
 
If you were family or close friends - you'd walk in thru our garage into the mudroom and be welcomed by the washer & dryer. And trust me, it wasn't always this clean. The top of the washer & dryer was the catch-all for items when we walked in the door and Nick liked to use the sink as a hamper when he came home from the farm.
 
 
From the mudroom, you would walk into the kitchen. By far, my favorite room of the house. I loved that our kitchen was a gathering place for family & friends. No matter how much seating we had in the living room, we always ended up sitting {or standing} in the kitchen hanging out.
 
This is the first room that I painted in the house. My sister came up for the weekend and we spent 2 days painting {and drinking on the deck at night!}
  

 
 
Next we would head into the living room. After the kitchen, this is the room we spend the most time in. Nick & I re-did this room shortly after we got married with new carpet, paint and crown molding.
 
I have memories of my family laying around this room watching the Packers game after our Thanksgiving meal, lazy Sunday afternoons watching movies with Nick, Kimber practicing walking between Mom & Dad and hours of snuggling my sweet baby girl in the rocking chair.
 

 
 Our formal dining room is off the living room. This room only gets used a couple times a year - usually for Thanksgiving, 4th of July and other parties we host throughout the year. My parents gave me their dining room set when we moved in the house, on the condition I host Thanksgiving for my side of the family. I was fine with that since I love to host parties at my house!
 

I have wanted to paint this room burnt orange since we moved in...and it finally got painted when we were getting the house ready to sell. At least, I got to enjoy a few months of it before we had to move out!
 


 
 
Thru the french doors is the sitting room. This room has hardly been used since we moved in...unless we had family in town and they put an air mattress down and slept in there. If this was our forever house, I would turn this room into a play room for kids and then later a hang out for them & their friends.
 
 
 
Off the sitting room is the office. Which did not actually look like an office until we got the house ready to sell. Before that - I was a catch all room. When I was planning our wedding - it was full of wedding decorations. After the wedding - it was full of wedding gifts until I found a home for them. We always had intentions of using the room more, but since it's in the back of the house and we had a laptop we could use anywhere in the house, we didn't have much motivation to work on it. But of course, now that it's organized...I wish we would have done it sooner!
 
The sitting room & office are the only 2 rooms in the  house that we have not painted since we moved in. Mostly because we never really used them. And the paint colors are neutral and not an eye sore like so many of the other colors were.
 
 
Back at the front of the house, off the mudroom, is a 1/2 bath.
 
 
This hallway would take you right to the front door again. Or if you headed the other way toward the bathroom and took a right, you would be in the mudroom.
 
Kimber loves that she can get to the steps 2 ways and tries to sneak past us to get to them. I'm sure if we were in the house longer, she'd be making full circles thru the mudroom, to kitchen, to entryway and back to the mudroom!!

 
{Story City House Tour: Second Level coming tomorrow}

No comments:

Post a Comment