Friday, December 28, 2012

A Year in Review: 2012


As I reflect back on 2012, I realized it was full of both highs & lows. We dealt with my mother passing away suddenly of a heart attack in February, my nephew's ongoing battle with cancer and our fertility struggle. But I'd rather not dwell on the bad, but focus on the good things that happened in 2012.


10."Ran" 3 5K's with Ann - One of my goals for 2012 was to run a 5K. I was a sprinter in high school & college, so distance running has not been easy {or fun} for me. I stuck to the Couch to 5K program and was able to run 3.1 miles!! My BFF, Ann, and I ran a 5K in June, followed by the Color Run in early October, and the 5K at the Des Moines Marathon in late October. We didn't run the entire Color Run or at the DM Marathon, but I still count them! It was great to cross this goal off my to-do list and to do it with my best friend!
    
                    


 
 
9.  College girlfriend weekend - I am lucky enough to have an amazing group of college girlfriends. We've been there for each other for weddings, babies, deaths and other highs/lows in our lives. I always know we're going to have a great time when we get together. Unfortunately, with jobs, kids and life getting in the way - we don't get together as much as we used to. This summer, the girls came to my house {sans kids & husbands} to hang out & we had an amazing weekend catching up. We drank, we ate, we went wine tasting, we hung out in the pool, we drank. It was a great weekend!




8.  Girls shopping trip to Minneapolis - My aunts & cousins have an annual shopping trip to Minneapolis the first weekend in November. I went years ago, but with my job it's hard to get away at the beginning of the month. But after traveling to NYC {see #4} with this group - I knew I didn't want to miss out on spending time with this group of ladies!! We spent 3 days shopping/talking/drinking {water for me}. One evening we got dressed up, had blow-outs, went to a show and had a nice dinner. It was a great long weekend and I'm already looking forward to next year!!



7.  Boys snowmobiling trip to Wyoming & Michigan - Nick has a great group of friends that enjoy a lot of the same hobbies - one of them being snowmobiling. He was able to take 2 snowmobile trips this year with the guys. He enjoys the boys time...and I enjoy when he's gone so I can have some girl time {shopping & wine drinking}.




6.  Annual 4th of July party - We moved into our house 3 years ago and decided it was a great location to have a summer celebration - enough room to set up tents for sleeping and a hill big enough for a 'white-trash' slip & slide! Along with the slip & slide, we have fireworks, lots of food & drinks  and this year added a pool to the activities. This is the 2nd year of hosting a July 4 party and it's so much fun to get together with everyone! 






5.  Celebrating Blake's 12th Birthday - My nephew, Blake, was diagnosed with cancer in December 2011. He has been going through surgeries, chemo and treatments since this time. We wanted to throw him an amazing 12th birthday since he had been through so much. He had just finished a treatment & was susceptible to catching viruses ...so we had the birthday bash at his house. We bought balloons in his favorite color, had a Justin Bieber cake and Batman even made an appearance!! All of my siblings were able to make the trip - it was a loud & fun time with everyone there!! The best part was Blake had an unforgettable birthday celebration!!

 
 
Batman surprised Blake while he was opening gifts - he was so excited & couldn't stop smiling!!
 
He got his own Batman costume!
 
  
 
4.  Girls trip to NYC - In March, I was lucky enough to travel to NYC with my aunts & cousins. We spent 4 days exploring the city and had an amazing time! We did all the typical touristy-type things - shopping, drinking, ate at Serendipity and SaraBeth's {among other places}, visited the Empire State Building, Ground Zero, Time Square and lots of other places. I never thought I wanted to go to NYC, but after visiting...I can't wait to go back to explore the city more!!
 
 

 

 


3.  Trip to Punta Cana - I love tropical vacations. Nick & I traveled to Punta Cana with another couple in August and had an incredible time! We hung by the swim-up bar {a lot}, drank, went on a catamaran excursion, drank, ate great food, got massages, drank and did some shopping. The beaches were beautiful and the views were breathtaking...I think I might like Punta Cana more than Mexico!

 
 

 

2.  Celebrating a new baby nephew - In August, we welcomed a new nephew into the world - Abrahm Duane {or Baby Abey - as we like to call him}. Nick has already decided he's going to Baby Abey's favorite uncle {he's his only uncle at this point!} and it's so fun to watch their relationship grow.



 


 
1.  Finding out we were expecting!! - It was a 1 1/2 year journey, but on September 26 we found out we were finally expecting!! It was one of the best days of my life and I've been enjoying every little thing about this pregnancy. Luckily, I've had no morning sickness and very little tiredness - so it's been easy to enjoy! Nick has been amazing during this entire journey - supportive during the fertility struggle, ecstatic when we found out we were expecting and holding my hand during every doctor's appointment. He is going to make an amazing daddy...and I can't wait to see him hold his baby in his arms. Our family & friends have also been very supportive during this journey and we are so lucky to be surrounded by such a wonderful group of people.   


 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment