Thursday, July 10, 2014

The Lost Files: Kimber's Baptism

We had Kimber's baptism over July 4th weekend since my family would already be in town. I had this date set even before she was born, so I could have created generic baptismal invites and sent them out. But instead, I waited until she was born and ordered invites that were gender specific and had her name on them. I literally ordered her invites the day we got home from the hospital!! I had to get them ordered & rush shipped, so  I could get them mailed out since we only had 4 weeks until the baptism. And I have a rule that invites need to be mailed 4 weeks before a party! {Yes, I'm that anal}

 
TJ and Haley {and her friend} were at my house the entire week of July 4th, so I put them to work helping with decorations. We held a luncheon in the basement of the church after the service and I wasn't going to do too much decorating, but if you know me, you know I can't have a party without any decorations!! We painted mason jars to place on the tables and made a paper banner with Kimber's name on it. I think the girls had fun with this little project - they worked on it all afternoon!
 




 
From the day I got married, people asked me what I was going to do with my wedding dress. Keep it and have my daughter wear it one day? Nope. I had a different idea in mind. I knew my daughter would never want to wear my dress on her wedding day, but instead I wanted my kids to wear it the day they were baptized. I found a pattern that I liked and Nick's mom made Kimber's baptismal dress from my wedding dress. I'm hoping it starts a family tradition and one day her kids will wear it at their baptism! There is also enough fabric left on my wedding dress to make another one once we have baby #2.
 
 Kimber had several other special accessories for her baptism day. Uncle TJ got her a special blanket & bib. Auntie Oobie got her a bracelet. And I got her a headband & booties to match her dress.
 


 
On Sunday, we drove up to Alden and got Kimber dressed at the church since she was known for her blow outs & spit ups. I didn't want her in her baptismal dress any longer than she needed to be before the service started!
 
 
 



Kimber was baptized in the same church that Nick & I were married in and confirmed at. Nick was confirmed there when he was in high school and I was confirmed earlier in the year and became a member of the church.
 
After much thought, we picked Uncle TJ and Aunt Paige to be Kimber's godparents.  We knew they would both be there for Kimber during her life and they would do a great job guiding her.
 




 
I requested to sing "Jesus Loves Me" right after she was baptized because it is the song I sing to her all the time. Man, I didn't realized what a bawling mess I'd be by singing that song at church. And anytime we've had a baptism at church since then and sing the same song, I get tears in my eyes.
 


 
 


 Nick's mom made all the food for the luncheon, which was amazing since we were busy with our July 4 celebration and I didn't have extra time to make food!! 



Aunt Paige made Kimber's cake and it was perfect! And yummy!!!





 

 
 I don't talk about religion a lot {like ever} because I feel that it is a personal relationship between a person and God. But Kimber's day was perfect and I can't wait to raise her in the church. To guide her. To help her build a relationship with God.
 
I grew up going to church on a weekly basis. But after being confirmed {as an adult} into the church, taking communion on a regular basis and having Kimber baptized in the same church - it has changed my relationship. It's so much stronger than it ever was. There are days that I look up and thank HIM for the life that he has provided me. An amazing husband. A sweet baby girl. A comfortable life.  It hasn't been perfect and there were bumps in the road to get to were I am now, but He knew I could handle it and guided me to the life I have now.

No comments:

Post a Comment