Saturday, June 8, 2013

Checklist before {and after} baby

Already completed:
  • Pick a name {girl} - done! We had decided on a girls name at 6 weeks...and it never changed!!
  • Pre-register at the hospital
  • Take childbirth prep classesdecided not to go to classes but watch the DVD instead. I'm glad we didn't go to the classes - by listening to the nurses & doctors and just having natural instincts, the entire process went pretty smooth!
  • Write birth plan– my plan is to listen to the doctor and do whatever they tell me to do! Best plan we had was not to have a plan!
  • Complete shower registry - it's as complete as it's going to get since I don't really know what I need.
  • Maternity photos - done and I LOVE them!!
  • Book newborn photographer
  • Design & order thank you cards for shower - designed cards to match the chevron pattern for the nursery and love them!
  • Wash all baby items - I washed some items, but decided that I didn't want to wash all of them...
  • Put away and organize baby items - all items from our showers are organized & put away in the nursery
  • Finalize maternity leave with employer - I'm going to take 6 weeks off...maybe 8. We'll figure it out when the baby gets here. I might do some work from home, so I can take a longer maternity leave.
  • Read childbirth books - I feel like the videos did a good enough job explaining things that I don't need to do any additional reading.
  • Set up dog sitting while we're at the hospital - Since it'll be summer & Jayde is outside she'll be fine for a couple days on her own. Nick will run home & check on her.
  • Write and send out thank you cards - Shower 1
  • Write and send out thank you cards - Shower 2
  • Write and send out thank you cards - Shower 3
  • Get a pedicure - got one a couple weekends ago...but I need another one - planning on going Thursday after my doctor's appointment.
  • Assemble all baby gear - all items that we have are assembled
  • Purchase baby items needed not gifted at shower - need to decide if I want to buy a couple things, but I'm mostly done with buying items until after the baby is here & I figure out what additional items we need.
  • Buy postpartum supplies - ice packs, sanitary pads, panty liners, wipes/creams
  • Pack hospital bag {baby} - baby's diaper bag is packed with a couple sleep sacks, swaddlers and going home outfits.
  • Make and freeze some meals - made 10 frozen meals with a friend & I can't wait to try all of them!
  • Pack hospital bag {mom}- most of the items are packed besides the day to day things I use {straightening iron, etc}. I'm not too worried - I figure I'll be in labor for several hours at home before I have to head to the hospital.
  • Pack ‘daddy hospital survival kit’packed with new pj bottoms and his travel toiletry bag, candy, food, soda, magazines, etc for Nick.
  • Buy nursing supplies - nursing pads {done}, nursing bras {done}, pump pieces {done}, milk collection bags {done}, bottles {done}
  • Research health insurance for baby - baby will be added to my health insurance.
  • Watch DVD childbirth prep video - the videos were very informational and hopefully they will help once I go into labor!
  • Watch Happiest Baby On the Block DVD - decided I don't want to watch any videos or read any books right now. Nick & I will figure it all out...and if we don't - then I might read a book or something. Our parents raised us without reading a book on how to do it..so I figure we can figure it out.
  • Install car seat - Nick's parents bought the carseat for us. They brought it down to our house this week - within 5 minutes of Nick getting home, he had it installed in my vehicle. Guess he's ready for the baby to be here!!
  • Purchase and install carbon monoxide detector - Nick was able to get one from work.
  • Find pediatricianfound who we want to use and will set up follow-up appointments with him when we are discharged from the hospital.
  • Get a haircut - cut & colored!
  • Pick a name {boy}decided on a boys name while I was in labor at the hospital
  • Clean up around the house - we've cleaned the entire house and trying to maintain that until the baby gets here! It's not easy to do when we keep accumulating more & more baby stuff!
  • Finish nursery - all the big things {furniture/bedding} are done...just working on the details - hang frames {done}, make fabric bunting {done}, make crib bumper{done}, make changing pad cover {done}, hang lanterns {done}, hang bunting {done}, buy clock, cover lamp shade with fabric, order rug. Didn't get all these items done...but I don't think Kimber will notice!
 
Post-baby:
  • Call friends & family to announce arrival of baby - we called our parents & grandparents right away & then sent out text messages to all our friends & family to announce the news!!
  • Send out birth announcement email to coworkers - sent a text to my co-workers when we were in the hospital. I stopped in at work {to add Kimber to my insurance & pick up my laptop} when she was 9 days old.
  • Call newborn photographer to schedule session - newborn pictures were taken when Kimber was 8 days old and I can't wait to see how they turn out! We also purchased the newborn pictures that they took at the hospital....so we already have lots of pictures of her!
  • Call to start FMLA/disability paperwork - called a couple days after Kimber was born.
  • Add baby to health insurance - added Kimber to my insurance when she was 9 days old.
  • Mail out birth certificate - filled out the paper work while in the hospital and received her birth certificate when she was 9 days old. We should receive her SSN card within a couple weeks.
  • Mail out birth announcements - waiting to get the newborn pictures back & then I will mail them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment